I can't get the Tablet to connect to Wi-Fi?
1. If you are home and trying to connect to the internet, make sure you have a wireless router – a WiFi connection. (We find that some customers are new to the tablet market and are trying to connect through traditional dial up modems, etc.)
2. Make sure you are using the correct password for your router. You can also check the box labeled "Show Password" when typing it in to make sure you are entering the correct password.
(If you are recieving the "Obtaining IP address" message and the search stops and tries again in a continuous loop, then press the router name you are trying to connect to then press "Forget" and re-enter using the correct password.)
3. Make sure your router is up to date with the latest drivers / firmwares. Do this by calling the manufacturer's support line. Be sure to have your model number on hand (usually found on the back or the bottom of the device).
4. Your router may need to be updated. Many Android users who cannot connect to Wifi have called their internet providers and had their routers firmwared or replaced. In many cases, this corrects the non-connectivity issue.
5. You may need to call your internet provider to get the static IP address and manually input these number into the tablet.
Note: Get the following 5 pieces of information from the internet provider: IP Address, Gateway, Netmask, DNS 1, DNS 2.
When you have these numbers, do the following:
A. Open the "Settings" app
B. Select "Wireless and Networks"
C. Select "Wifi Settings"
D. Press the "Menu" hard button (bottom of tablet)
E. Select "Advanced"
F. Select "Use Static IP" (check box will be highlighted)
G. Enter the information received from the internet provider.
H. You should now be able to connect. If this does not help, then you may need to turn off the encryption on your router.
Note: Turning off the encryption on your router may help to connect, but we do not recommend this option as it will disable privacy settings on your network.
6. If you have a tablet that will not connect ANYWHERE then the unit may need to be replaced. You can check this by trying to connect at a Starbucks or somewhere where they have free Wi-Fi, as these routers will be up to date. This will be a rare case though, as we have found that most customers simply need a firmware or hardware upgrade to their routers and/or a firmware upgrade to the tablet.
I connected the Tablet to a Wi-Fi network but I can't access the internet?
- The network you connect the Tablet to must have internet access.
I have set a screen lock Password / PIN / Pattern and now forget my
settings. I cannot get passed the screen lock screen.
- You will have to perform a firmware update to the tablet. Be sure to back up any information and data to your computer’s hard drive as the tablet will be reset to a factory default setting and all of your data will be erased. To perform this firmware update from your computer, log onto www.southerntelecom.com/polaroidsupport and select “Updates”. From here you can get the firmware update as well as the Firmware Update Guide. Be sure to select the correct model number (located on the back of the tablet).
Can I charge my PMID703C tablet with the USB port?
- Yes, you can charge the PMID703C tablet by connecting it directly to the computer using the inlcuded USB cord or you can charge the tablet using the included AC wall charger. Using the wall charger will result in quicker charge times.
Even though my tablet is Wifi only, Can I view my email offline with
my Android device?
- Yes. You will need to sync your data to the device periodically by connecting to the internet, where your device will retrieve your data from the Cloud. Any information that has been synced will remain on the device (until deleted) even when not connected to Wifi.
Where can I download apps from?
- The Tablet does not come pre-loaded with an app store, however for your convenience a link to download the Amazon appstore can be found on the Bookmarks widget on the Home screen (Please refer to "Downloading apps" in the User Guide).
Why is there no Google Android Market installed on my Polaroid Tablet?
- We find that the Google Android market caters mainly to smartphones. Polaroid Tablet users can download apps by downloading the Amazon App Store application or by loading .apk files directly onto the device using the preloaded "ApkInstaller" which is located in your tablet's app menu. For more information on .apk files, see below.
What is an .apk file?
- .apk is a file format used to distribute and install Applications onto the Android operating system. They can be found and downloaded from various websites on the internet.
How I load APK's to my tablet?
(1) Find and download an .apk file to your computer.
(2) Connect your Polaroid tablet via USB to your computer and copy the .apk file into your tablet memory or SD card memory (drag and drop or copy and paste).
(3) Safely eject your Polaroid tablet and disconnect it from the computer.
(4) In the Tablet apps menu, select the app called, "ApkInstaller".
(5) Press the "Menu" button on the tablet.
(6) Select "Install".
(7) Locate the .apk file you've just transferred to the tablet and select it.
(8) Select "Install"
(9) Select "Install" again.
I downloaded and installed an app and it does not work properly?
- Some apps are designed to be used with mobile phones and may not work properly on the Tablet (avoid apps that require camera or GPS as they will not be supported by the Tablet).
Some games do not work properly?
Sometimes, while playing games, the g-sensor on the Tablet does not function correctly. This results in games not being controllable. To correct this problem, follow these steps:
(1) Open "Settings."
(2) Select "Display."
(3) Select "Accelerometer Coordinate System."
(4) The default setting is "Default Coordinate System." This setting should work for most games.
(5) In the case that your game is not functioning properly, follow the above steps and select "Special coordinate system to support some other games."
How can I get music on the Tablet?
- You can connect the Tablet to your computer and transfer files directly to the tablet, or download the Amazon MP3 app from the Amazon appstore.
My music will not play on the tablet.
Although the tablet can play most music types, occasionally you must use your computer to convert the music to the right format to be played on the tablet. To do this, download Any-Audio-Converter on your computer.
Once downloaded, follow these instructions:
Note: Any-Audio-Converter must be downloaded and used on your computer. This program will not work on your tablet.
(1) Open Any-Audio-Converter (located in the "AnvSoft" folder in your programs list).
(2) Click the "Add Media Files" button and find the song you want to convert.
(3) Select ".mp3" from the "Profile" drop down box.
(4) Click the "Convert" button.
(5) Now open the "Documents" folder on your computer.
(6) Open the folder titled "Any-Audio-Converter".
(7) Open the folder titled "MP3" and find your song.
(8) Copy and paste the converted song to your tablet (you should always save songs to the "music" folder on the Tablet or the "music" folder on your SD card).
(9) Open the "Music " app on the Tablet and play your song.
Note: If you cannot find the song, you might have saved it to a different folder by accident. Use the "Explorer" app to find it.
How can I watch videos or store my pictures on the Tablet?
- You can connect the Tablet to your computer and transfer media files directly to the tablet (we recommend inserting a micro SD card to conserve the Tablet's internal memory), or watch videos using the YouTube app (internet connection is required).
My videos do not play on the tablet.
- Although the tablet can play most video types, occasionally you must use your computer to convert the videos to the right format to be played on the tablet. To do this, download Any-Video-Converter on your computer.
Once downloaded, follow these instructions:
Note: Any-Video-Converter must be downloaded and used on your computer. This program will not work on your tablet.
(1) Open Any-Video-Converter (located in the "AnvSoft" folder in your programs list).
(2) Click the "Add Video" button and find the video you want to convert.
(3) Select ".avi" from the "Profile" drop down box.
(4) Locate the "Video Options" drop down box and change the "Frame Size" to "800x480" (you can type 800x480 in the frame size drop down box if it does not appear in the list)
(5) Click the "Convert" button.
(6) Now open the "Documents" folder on your computer.
(7) Open the folder titled "Any Video Converter".
(8) Open the folder titled "AVI" and find your video.
(9) Copy and paste the converted video to your tablet (you should always save videos to the "DCIM" folder on the Tablet or the "Videos" folder on your SD card).
(10) Open the "Gallery" app on the Tablet and play your video.
Note: If you cannot find the video, you might have saved it to a different folder by accident. Use the "Explorer" app to find it.
I downloaded something from the internet and can't find it on the Tablet?
- Check the "Downloads" app on the Apps screen or press menu on the Home screen and select "Notifications".
Why does the screen rotate on my device?
- Many Android devices have built in G-sensors (called accelerometers) that detect the orientation of the device and rotate the screens.
The response of the display is not as quick as usual?
- Try closing some apps using the "App Manager" app on the apps screen OR it is possible the battery is close to exhaustion and is affecting the performance of the Tablet- try fully charging the Tablet.
I try and select an item on the touch display
and another option is selected?
- In settings select "Touch panel calibration".
Can I upgrade the RAM in my tablet?
- Typical tablets are embedded platforms, and do not have replaceable RAM modules. They are closer to smart phones than laptops or notebook computers. Polaroid Tablets are manufactured with micro SD card slots for adding additional memory. You may use micro SD cards up to 32GB.
How do I access my Yahoo! Mail account on my tablet?
- Some email accounts such as Yahoo! Mail cannot be configured on many tablets or smartphones through the traditional email setup process. You can still access your Yahoo! Mail account by downloading Yahoo! Mail's application from the Amazon market.
(1) Open the, "Appstore" application on your tablet.
(2) Type "yahoomail" into the search field and press, "Search"
(3) Follow the instructions to download the Yahoo! Mail app.
(4) When installed, open the application and sign in using your Yahoo! Mail credentials.
(5) You can now access your Yahoo! Mail on the Polaroid Tablet.
Is there firmware support for my tablet?
- Yes there is a firmware update available. However, this is only for users who have locked the tablet and cannot unlock it.
There is no other reason to perform an upgrade as of yet. As neccessary updates become available registered users will be notifiied.